Friday, October 19, 2007

Thankful

Meeting with my book club group last night, we ended up talking a lot about some people we know who are going through VERY difficult challenges. One gal had a neighbor who ran over another neighbor's child (total freak accident) and the guilt and sadness that are overtaking both families. Two of our members are going through divorces--one because her husband is gay and one because her husband was unfaithful. One of our members' son has had multiple surgeries from a brain tumor.

Our usually light conversation got quite heavy for a while, and when I got home I got down on my knees to thank my Heavenly Father for the life I have been blessed with. Yes, I've had and will continue to have a lifelong struggle with my weight. But I haven't lost a child, or a husband. I have a great family and we have a nice house. We have good friends and we have the gospel.

I need to lighten up on my "poor me, I'm fat" attitude and be thankful that I have a working, healthy body. I have feet and I can walk. I can choose what I eat, and I can take control of my weight problem. If I stay this weight for the rest of my life, I will still have a good life. But if I take matters into my own hands and take responsibility for this weight condition, I can make changes in my life.

So, be thankful for the challenges you have. God doesn't give us more than we can handle, and all obstacles and challenges are here to help us grow and learn.

No comments: