Saturday, August 2, 2008

Oh, but I'm tired.

Today is the culmination of our city's summer celebration. They have an art show, a bike race, a rodeo, fishing derby, baby contest, parade and fireworks tonight. They also have a 5K run in the morning. Well, I entered the race (I must be insane) and got my 12 year old daughter to enter, as well. The entry fee was only $10 for residents, and the race was pretty flat. I also got my morning walking buddy to enter, too. She's never done a 5K before, and wasn't sure she could do that far. We walk between two and three miles a few times a week, so I knew she could. We even did our own 5K just to make sure she could do it. Then she flaked on me. She was going to be out of town.

Now I haven't done any jogging, running, or training of any kind since my last 5K in May. I've walked, but not pushed myself to go fast or anything. And now I had no walking buddy to just walk along casually with. Darn.

My daughter found her friend, and they were going to jog it together. I started out jogging it with my friend, but then I fell back, as I couldn't jog more than a few blocks. The rest of the time I was mostly walking, but trying to walk as fast as I could. There were a few little groups of people I kind of fell in line with, and we would pass each other and be passed. 3.1 miles is a long time when you are trying to speed up your pace. I finished just behind a large man and his daughter. She looked to be about 10. She reminded me of my nine year old daughter and I was proud of her for finishing it. Whenever she would lag behind her dad, he would hold out his hand, or encourage her to run it just a bit to catch up with him. At the very end she was just barely in front of me and I wanted to just give her a push to help her along, but not knowing her, I kept my distance.

At the finish line, there was my tiny little runner of a daughter. She had finished in 30 minutes. I finished in 47. And I felt like I was about to die. Ugh. But I finished, and I was proud of my daughter for running (she ran for 2 1/2 miles, she said), so I guess that's a good thing.

2 comments:

Emily said...

wow, 5K. that is serious! congrats to YOU for finishing, too. :)

Jenni Saake said...

Paige, I'll be emailing you in a few minutes (please check your spam folder if you don't see it in your inbox). Congratulations on winning my Bloggy Carnaval giveaway for 2 books and some Affordable Mineral Makeup™ samples at http://www.InnerBeautyGirlz.com Please email me with your mailing address within one week to claim your prize!