Sunday, January 25, 2009

Biggest loser challenge

I've joined a support group of sorts. My sister forwarded me an email from a friend of hers who's getting a "Biggest Loser" challenge going. We all report our starting weight and then have to report in every week. At the end of 90 days we see who loses the biggest percentage of their body weight, and they win the cash prize (we're each putting in $5, so it's not that huge of a cash prize).

So, I weighed in and actually told my weight to a total stranger. EEEK! Admitting how much I weigh is very scary. I don't know why it should be so scary. It's not like people could look at me and actually think that I was 160. Imagine their shock when I tell them I'm over 200. What? You? I had NO idea! You hide it so well! yeah, right. I try to hide it well, but fat is fat, and as much as I'd like to deny it, there's not much I can do to hide or disguise it. Wouldn't it be great if we could just take our fat off and hide it under the couch or stick it in the oven with our dirty dishes when company comes over? OK, that's gross, I know.

I'm not in this contest for the money, however. Money would be nice, but nicer than that would be to lose some weight. And even though I don't know these people, I don't want to be totally humiliated when next week comes around and I (gasp) haven't lost any weight.

So my plan is to stick to the Weight Watchers system. To calculate the points and write everything down. The only problem with that is I can't find my WW book with all the points values for each food. I know it's here somewhere, since I seemed to have found all the other info, but today I had to just guess. But I stayed within my points. Just barely. And I did eat five small servings of fruits and vegetables.

And here's the kicker--I made sugar cookie dough, and didn't even taste it. Not one spoon lick, not one taste, not one cheat---nothing. I quickly put the bowl in the sink and poured dish soap and water in there so I wouldn't be tempted to come back later for a little lick of cookie dough. Tomorrow when we roll and cut the cookies, I'll have to have gum in my mouth and have a big bowl of popcorn to eat so I won't eat that, either. Isn't that great? Aren't you proud of me? Are you wondering why I made cookie dough in the first place? Good question. There's a family celebration coming up and we need to make treats for it. Hopefully I can get the kids to do the rolling and cutting and frosting, since they like that part.

So I'll be letting you know how I do this week. I have until Saturday before I have to have my next weigh in.

Wish me luck and will power!!

1 comment:

Emily said...

good luck!

don't they have the WW values online somewhere? maybe not, it just seems like you'd be able to find them somewhere. :)

in any case, good luck!